Monday 11 November 2013

World Mythology

For the world I have created I felt like it needed a bit more substance and decided to look into mythologies to perhaps inspire some ideas and give a bit more grounding to this new world I have created. 

I decided to look into the idea of the World Tree. This originated from Norse mythology and the tree Yggdrasil. There are different ways in which the story was told but I quite liked this version that I found at Yggdrasil Land Foundation.

I then started to collect images of trees as I wanted to take on the idea of having a world tree. Here is a mood board I put together of both digital and traditional art of trees along with the Deku Tree. I just needed an excuse to put a Zelda reference in there.


I was however aware that this idea has been recycled many times over and I wanted to try a different angle. After doing much research in to the World Tree I came across a version which I wanted to adapt which was from Egyptian Mythology. The Egyptian tree of life is the acacia tree which to them, was considered the tree of life as it is the "tree in which life and death are enclosed".

I was really intrigued by this belief and I wanted to adapt it, making it a threshold between the to worlds. Because of this, I suppose it is quite obvious that there will be some elements of death in my story which is fitting of my need for tragedy. Whether or not I use the acacia tree as the model for my wold tree or not is still to be decided. Because it is a fantasy world, I would quite like to explore the idea of a talking tree like the Deku or Maku tree and/or explore the idea of Treants.

No comments:

Post a Comment