Tuesday 18 March 2014

Unity Toon Shader

After doing some texture testing and mainly after looking into the Okami aesthetic I decided that I wanted to try my hands at the Unity Toonshader. I was really drawn to exploring the cell shaded aesthetic and again using my basic tree model, have tested it out.


It took me a while to get my head around how to apply it to my assets because I was doing it all completely wrong, but with a little digging on some Unity forums and tutorial videos I eventually found out how to use it and it's actually very simple. 

There are serval different Toon shaders available and i've decided to go for the Basic Outline one. As you can see from the pictures below I've been experimenting with different line thickness' in order to create the look I want. I think perhaps depending on the different assets the Toonshader will be applied to, that different line thickness' will better suit certain objects. Overall though, I'm wanting to stick to quite a subtle line as the thicker ones are very heavy and less appealing in my opinion. 


I would say these thickness' displayed on the images are at the two extremes of which i'd be willing to go, so i'd preferably like something in between. 


As you can see the leaves have no outline. This is because textures such as that are applied to planes so by adding the Toonshader it outlines the edges of the plane and not the leaves. Also, by changing the material attributes to the Toonshader also cancels out the Transparency shader therefore an't be used anyway. All this means is that I have to manually add black outlines to my textures on Photoshop before adding them to my assets.

NEEDS EDITING: [insert photoshop leaves]

No comments:

Post a Comment