Friday 19 October 2012

'Young Bird' Design

So, we're now creating bird characters and came up with an interesting concept. when chicks are born they're essentially naked and we thought we'd put a spin on this and make the younger character more human and as she matured she'd get more bird-like features or 'earn her feathers' so to speak. And with this in mind I started to create my character.

The bird features I decided to give to her were the beak, legs, feet and arms. I did contemplate giving her wings but as she's only a little 'chick' I decided to experiment with clothing to imitate different features instead. The poncho worked well to resemble wings I thought and I also looked at pumpkin pants because they have a nice balloon shape to them. I thought it was a nice way of achieving those feathery pants you see on chickens for example. 

You can see here that I was still considering different outfit designs and  took a lot of inspiration from tribal fashion from old to modern. I also looked at a lot of tribal colour themes and patterns. This one in particular was the one I was really drawn to and I'd like to use it for the final model too. 

As you can probably tell these pictures aren't digital. I decided to use my well loved pro markers to get nice flat colours for my drawings. I used these pens a lot when I'm working on colours for character designs because they're simple and I feel more at home doing traditional drawings rather than digital.

No comments:

Post a Comment