Monday 11 February 2013

UFO Concept and Inspirations


This is my concept art that I did for my UFO. Because I've gone for a stone golem alien if you will, I wanted the space ship to be fitting for such a creature. I used a lot of references for this space ship as far as inspiration goes. The main sources of inspiration were Aztec temples and the Tower of Babel.












I knew that I wanted the space ship and alien to relate to each other which is why I started researching temples and buildings in general. The Tower of Babel is by far the most interesting in terms of concept. The story goes that the structure was built to reach into the Heavens by humanity and shared one language, but the building was halted as God came and scattered them across the Earth so they could not return to one another. In a result of this, their languages were muddled thus bringing us to the world as it is today. In terms of the alien race, I'm going to use this concept to explain why they returned to the Earth and why they have a language barrier with humans.

Other inspirations for my ship were Tartarus for Persona 3 which is a complex mesh of buildings jammed together to create a labyrinth tower. I think that the nonsensical structure has been put together well and is fitting of an alien race because they're something outside of our knowledge and that we cannot begin to understand.












I have also referenced Shadow of the Colossus to keep an ongoing theme of inspiration throughout my project. The Coliseum arena where you fight the Gecko boss makes a nice point of reference because it's similar in structure to the Tower of Babel.

No comments:

Post a Comment