Thursday 28 February 2013

UV mapping for Adam

So as you know I collaborated with a few people Adam being one of them. And if you're interested to see his work you'll find it all on his blog on this address.. www.dfgalvl5blog.blogspot.com

Right, so in turn for him doing my concept art I did some UV mapping for him. Not sure if there's a wrong and right way to do UV mapping but as I talked to my peers, it seems no one likes doing it (except me) and that a lot of people used the auto mapping system. Although it's quick, it does leave your texturing a bit stretched here and there and knowing that I avoided using it and just unfolded everything manually. Don't get me wrong, it seems great for quite complicated pieces but you still need to move some UVs around so I just stuck to what I know best.

Adam's character was some kind of robot space mercenary so his physique was quite blocky. This was good news to me but there were a lot of intricate details in hard to reach places so, I had to do a lot of planar mapping for several parts of the body, mainly the sides of the head. All in all it did take longer than I hoped because after unfolding parts of the body the UVs ended up very messy so I had to do a lot of moving UVs around and essentially problem solving. Where I enjoy it, this UV map was took a while to iron out because there were a lot of edges very close together and they started to overlap one another after unfolding them.

Overall, I believe they were happy with my work and seemed pretty glad they didn't have to do it themselves. I'm just glad I have a skill set which people don't seem to enjoy very much. Means I could be doing a lot of collaborations in the future which suits me just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment