Thursday 3 October 2013

Creating the inside of the UFO

In my last two submissions I never developed the interior for my UFO therefore had no background to work with when doing the After Effects side of my project. So, decided to create a quick area in Maya. I did consider creating a digital painting as the majority of my shots are still so the matte painting would have worked well but, I'm a little out of touch with drawing and I felt like it would have turned out being very stressful and tedious.

The design, although simple, is inspired by the running temple theme seen in my UFO design and my alien. I wanted to keep this theme going as it helps put all my other assets into context and they all relate to one another in some shape or form.

The stepped platform in the center is suppose to represent a teleporting device/pad which gives Tim a central position which is ideal for the shots I want to have.

The textures I have used I just grabbed off the internet. They are all Hi-res and are stone/grungy type of textures again to fit in with the temple theme. I particularly like the grunge textures because they have a stained design to them which resembles marble. The grunge textures also fit in well with the alien angle that the brief asks for.



The lighting for my scene is again green and purple which is the same with all my assets. Again, I wanted to keep this on going theme so my alien and UFO are in relation to one another.  The green and purple lighting is nice and contrasting and again helps to project that idea of aliens.


In my initial renders I didn't actually have shadows and it was kindly pointed out to me by one of my tutors so I went back into Maya and experimented with the shadow settings and the positioning of the lights to cast shadows in the desired areas. I think the shadow of the column that is cast in the middle of the stepped platform is perhaps a little too harsh and needs toning down and softening. Overall, I am happy with the finished product.



No comments:

Post a Comment