Friday 25 April 2014

A Change Of Direction

I've most recently had a chat to one of my tutors regarding a change in direction in terms of a career. I've now accepted that I don't really want to work commercially or in the media industry and am more interested in doing social and community work. I think part of me has known this for a long time but learning to accept it and talk openly about it kind of scared me because I feel like I owe it to my course and tutors to continue in the media direction because it's what is expected of me. To my surprise my tutor was very understanding and encouraging about it. I feel like a great weight has now been taken off me and that I can relax, be myself and continue to look forward and search for work in order to help me get into a position I'm happy with. I was advised that I should strongly consider doing voluntary work as it will give me experience and help me move in the right direction in terms of doing my part for the community. These are some of the things I'm hoping to do some research into...
  • Community centres
  • Charity work
  • Teaching 
  • Mentoring
  • Counselling
  • Retail
  • Customer service
With this list, I hope to find out what I need to do to help get me into these positions and necessary skill set I will be needing or improving on and hopefully this will help me get started.

Just to briefly talk through some of the bullet points above, I feel through my years at college that above everything my communication skills really shine which made me think that one of the above positions would suit me well. I've thought about mentoring and teaching kids before because I really like the idea of sharing my love for creativity whether it be through art or computing. I have also considered working with adults (College/University) because I feel I would serve as a great support and encouragement for people during their studies. I think the student council is more the area I would like to be in in terms of supporting students because I am a very good listener and am good at taking on and helping solve other peoples problems whether it be personal or work related. For this it might be a good idea for me to get in touch with the student council downstairs and ask about their experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment