Tuesday 22 April 2014

Project Changes

It's been a while since I last posted but following on from the feedback I was given after my Research & Development presentation, there have been a lot of changes to my project.

The main change is the aesthetic of my environment. In the presentation I delivered a paint-like aesthetic paired with the Unity Toon Shader as the look I was aiming for after discarding the textiles idea. My feedback based on this was that my reasons for scrapping the textiles aesthetic weren't really justifiable and that I should revisit that aesthetic as a whole and give it another try. Since then, I have now decided I'm going to use this textiles look and continue to use the Toon Shader. 

Another big aesthetic change is that my environment, going hand-in-hand with the textiles aesthetic is looking more cute and child friendly following the likes of Ilo Milo and Kirby's Yarn (two games I have briefly looked into before). This change meant that I had to consider a different approach to modelling and instead of doing detailed and complex models I am now aiming for a low-poly look.

These are some examples of work I've taken inspiration from and that I feel would look great paired with that thick black outline the Toon Shader provides. 



Another issue that was raised in my presentation was a lack of planning in terms of a floor plan for my environment. The original example I was given to follow was Windwaker's Outset Island as it's only a small area that offers many things for the player to do.


Although I'm aiming more for an exploration type approach to my environment, I tried to consider terrain and various places to wander around to keep it interesting enough to continue to explore. Although it has gone through a lot of changes I have drawn up a rough thumbnail of what I'm hoping to create.


As you can see there are a few bridges with various water feature and other small islands. The island is going to be a floating island in the sky now instead of in the ocean therefore my shipwrecked idea doesn't really apply any more. Another big change is that I was told the scale of my project was too large and they would rather see a small but really polished area rather than a big unfinished and rushed looking environment. Therefore my island is only based on one season now which is Winter. I decided on Winter because a character design for Winter was created a while back but due to a change in aesthetics the character has also gone through some changes which I will post later.

No comments:

Post a Comment