Friday 18 January 2013

Sketches and Ideas

For this brief we have been encouraged to collaborate with one another to demonstrate and strade skill sets. I was asked by Adam if I'd be happy to do UV mapping for him and in return he will do my concept art. So, in light of this I've created a set of mood boards showing different ideas and elements I initially wanted to explore and he has gone away and done a few sketches since and i'm just going to go through some of the features that I like.


The first little doodle in the top left is essentially just a typical wild cat but I do really like the narrow eyes and the hunched stance/pose however, I think the overall look is a bit more menacing that what I'm after. The other sketches on the left page and the one i've circled on the top right explore a more animated shape. I really like the look of the long ears, I think together with some more interesting shapes it'd be on it's way to creating a rather nice and recognisable silhouette. Although cats are the basis of my idea I would like the final design to steer away from that but still have the overall feline/quadrupedal figure.


This sketch turned out to be a happy mistake. After breaking down some ideas and talking through my story board Adam took my idea of a more humanised animal and tried to draw a cat on two legs. I think there's nothing wrong with it but he seems to think the curved back is a bit much and it looks like it's being held by something which brought me onto the idea of a mass cat production where cats are being transported via cranes on some kind of conveyor belt. This then led onto a few other ideas to back it up and give the mechanism meaning such as the cats being dropped down shoots to new homes. It's a completely bonkers but fun idea and I'm going to make some story boards for it and might possibly develop it further because the machines offer a great opportunity for me to work on the sound. 

No comments:

Post a Comment