Friday 16 November 2012

Temple Walls

Daryl had blocked out the environment for me in Maya so we could get an idea of space and layout. This was then forwarded to me and I took that and started modelling. First I started off with the long corridor our characters will walk through which will open out into a big dome. I looked up some different brick arrangements for walls and tried various different combinations.















My main source of inspiration for the brick work were these images here. One of them was done by an Environment Artist called Chris Green and the other I couldn't find an artist for. I'll definitely make a post about Chris Green but for now back to my work. I specifically looked up Aztec Mayan style walls and these models popped up. I really liked the idea of having different sized bricks because it adds a little something and the opportunity to have a little bit of fun the texturing is there. For these images in particular the texturing is nice and simple, yet detailed and the models themselves look quite sharp. I really love the little engravings of images and squiggles in the walls, it adds a really nice touch. This is something I might attempt doing but at the moment I'm quite happy with the bricks alone. The different sizes keeps the wall from looking dull and it's simple yet effective I think.


The design I think I'm going to go with is the second one from the left. It has more variation and I think too many of the big bricks or too many of the small bricks looks like too much and I think this design has a good balance.

No comments:

Post a Comment