Wednesday 21 November 2012

Thought Bubble Comic Convention 2012

So just like every year for the past 4-5 years I went to the Thought Bubble Comic Convention here in Leeds. I really didn't think I'd end up going this year but I decided that it would be in my better interest since a festival and or convention of some kind is now a compulsory part of my course. This is the main reason I attended really because I'm going through some financial problems and with every passing day, going to the Animex festival up in Tee-side is looking more and more slim. It's better to have a back up plan rather than not fufil the requirements at all.

All the educational stuff aside I really enjoyed the convention again this year. It's a great atmosphere to be around people who are all coming together to celebrate the thing we love. I wasn't going to cosplay but decided to go for it because you get cheaper tickets. Anything to save them pennies! 

As usual there were a lot of the same artists around but it was refreshing to see new artists getting out there and selling themselves as a brand and getting recognition from the public and from the industry in a way because they're selling works next to professionals. I remember when I was selling stuff at one of the stalls back in 2010 and it's the best way to get networking with the professionals. This is definitely something I want to do again because I'd love to get feedback on my work. 

This nicely leads me onto the fact that I regret not bringing a portfolio of my college work to get feedback on. I wasn't really expecting to go to the convention because I didn't know whether I could afford it or not and because of this, I was rushed didn't have time to put some work together. I'm hoping that after this exhibition we're having in.. December I think it was, that I'll have something more professional to show because the work so far isn't really at a standard in which I'd want to show it off. Presenting my work in different and more professional ways is something I will definitely work on as the years go by.

No comments:

Post a Comment