Friday 7 February 2014

Cathy Smale

While looking for woodland references I came across a very talented artist called Cathy Smale. As you can imagine, I found her through some woodland paintings she has created. She has done a variety of different landscapes, all beautifully painted but the woodland stuff is obviously in-keeping with my project and I feel that the style and colour palettes and terrain are of some inspiration to me.


This has to be my favourite woodland painting just because it brings back pleasant memories. This piece is called 'Bluebell Woods'(left) and it reminds me of a picture I took during the Summer last year (right). I really like the idea of adding bluebells in the Summer section of the 3D environment I am creating. I think for one, it's an accurate rendition of woodland plant life and it would add a contrasting splash of colour to the rich green and sunny landscape I hope to make.


 These two images I found really inspiring in terms of terrain and space. I really like the spiralling effects of the land, it almost looks like a symbol has been carved into the ground. This would be great idea for hidden signs or emblems representative of my character perhaps?

All in all, there's a real sense of mystery about the landscape forming such shapes. It kinda reminds me of crop circles and I think perhaps this could be an avenue worth exploring? I definitely need to consider different areas in which the player can explore as well as scaling and winding paths to make the landscape more interesting to travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment