Thursday 13 February 2014

Patterned Aesthetic?

I originally wanted to go for a painted aesthetic look and googled 'painted leaves' to find these images by accident. I actually wanted to see an artists interpretation of painting leaves not to paint ON them. However, I found it an interesting idea to explore patterned leaves and textures in general which was further boosted after I bought The Paper Stack magazine.


This mood is a collection of pictures I came across as mentioned and the more I looked at them the more I thought that it'd give a really nice and fresh look to my game environment. It also serves as a really good way to explore colour. 

There are of course games that have used a textiles approach such as Yoshi's Story, Kirby's Yarn and Ilomilo.





The only issue I would probably raise with going for this kind of aesthetic is the target audience. It's not something I have really considered as I wanted it to be for everyone but this textiles aesthetic is very soft, rounded and friendly looking which is obviously more aimed at a young audience which the games above are.

No comments:

Post a Comment