Thursday 13 February 2014

The Witness, Braid and Monet

During the presentation of my idea, the game The Witness was forwarded to me by one of my peers.

The Witness is a puzzle game where you have todo a lot of problem solving in order to progress the game. The puzzles obviously vary in difficulty but in terms of moving on and opening up new areas of the island, you need to pay attention to the rules you learn while solving each of the puzzles as the game revolves around your new found knowledge.

Here is the official trailer of the game so you can better look at the gameplay and aesthetics.



But, what I'm more interested in for my project are the aesthetics of the game. The Witness, created by the maker of Braid, again has a very unique look about it. There's a very vivid use of colour and the overall aesthetic is something that is definitely to my interest. It has a look that is neither  realistic or stylised which is where I want to be heading with my environment.












Braid is another puzzle based game that utilises the concept of reversing time. Braids, aesthetic is very beautiful and has this hand painted look about it that reminds me very much of Monet's artwork. Monet is a painter that was part of the the impressionist art movement. Side by side, you can see why I found a resemblance between the two, not only in the painted style but also in their use of colour.



No comments:

Post a Comment