Wednesday 12 February 2014

Conceptual Mood Boards

I have done a lot of character work throughout the years and although I won’t be taking credit for the final concept art, I will be working very closely and have a great influence on my characters designs.

At this moment in time I am providing a lot of visual material for my concept art. All the mood boards here are purely for the character design as I am currently brainstorming various ideas and different angles in which I would like to be considered as part of their design. 



The first mood board shows various fantasy based creatures which I want to use as a starting point for the character design. This idea came from the fact I would like to explore the use of anthropomorphism for the initial character design concept. 

For those of you who don't know,  Anthropomorphism is a term that means to ascribe human characteristics and behaviour to something that is non-human. This also includes the likes of animals.  

On the mood board there is a varied number of different fantasy creatures such as centaurs, treants, sirens and selkies, some of which have a mythological background which could help shape character back stories and personality. 

From this, other than taking inspiration from a blend of different animals, body shape and form, I now needed to narrow down the animals in which I would like my concept artist to try out. These animals obviously have to have some kind of relation to each of the seasons so I need to go away and research into it (this is still on going at the moment).


The second mood board shows the idea of exploring the use of props, namely masks and headdresses. This idea spawned from the Egyptian Gods as the animal heads are sometime depicted as masks, so I thought perhaps the anthropomorphic concept could help create some interesting props to perhaps reinforce the animal part of the characters or even serve as a replacement (instead of literally having animal features). 

No comments:

Post a Comment