Tuesday 16 April 2013

Responsive Brief

After coming up with my initial ideas, I had a discussion with one of my tutors about how to expand on it and the pros and cons to my idea. Because the responsive brief gives me the opportunity to explore the areas I want to I forgot about the underlining subject of transmedia and that I need to somehow apply that to my work.

My idea was to originally work with audiovisuals and responsive audio which would involve motion graphics and sound design. However, this alone s a really difficult body of work to make links to transmedia with. So, my tutor suggested to create a story for something in which I can then translate into other media. I think this is a great suggestion because stories can be transferred over into an array of media but I will still be able to work on sound engineering. Since I am also interested in character design, the most logical answer would be to create themes in which the stories for these characters could shape.

This also opens up some opportunity for collaborations for any script writers or concept artists. But I have to be careful of taking on too much and working with too many people because everything can get confusing and I might not have time for my own project. This, for me, is my biggest worry because I'm aware that people have put me down for sound design in the collaboration section of the proforma we filled in so I might have a lot of requests.

As for a starting point for my exploration into sound, I need to research how to create music and sound effects because my knowledge as it stands, is very little and even the basics still need to be covered. As for getting use to software and recording equipment, I need to book in some time with James in the IT department. My tutor also forwarded a movie that I should watch called 'man with a movie camera'. This movie is quite dated but the interested spin to it is that the score for the film was remade for the film in 2003 and despite the date, they work perfectly together. Following this, I need to research cinematic orchestral works to go hand in hand with the film and I might also try re-make my own score for a piece of moving image. I might also do research into how you can tell a story through visuals and look into VFX/motion graphics a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment