Thursday 23 May 2013

Script Writer

Susan Everett is a script writer who came in to do a talk with us and share her experiences of the industry. The short film she showed us that was a real big hit in America was really impressive. I really enjoyed the story line and concept of the whole thing. It was based around adoption because she Susan being an adopted child herself was fascinated in the whole adoption precess. For this and many other areas of the movie she did a lot of primary research such as how to track down your real parents and how the letters get sorted in the postoffice. I think this goes to show how important research is because the more you understand about a certain are the better you can execute that in your own work whether I be writing or films. This was the main thing that I found interesting about what she had to share with us because as an individual, i'm not really interested in the writing side of things. I do however think that this point is a really helpful thing for all of us as fellow creatives. To replicate the real world through other mediums, you need to really know your stuff about whatever it is you want to talk about and through doing this course the fact reference is key is a reoccurring point.

Susan also mentioned how her journey wasn't very straight forward and sort of explained how it's okay to take a chance and try different things out because it's a natural process you take through life to discover who you are and what you enjoy doing. This was a comforting thing to hear because my journey in just my college years has been all over the place and I still don't feel as if i've found my place as a creative practitioner yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment