Friday 16 May 2014

Applying For Jobs

I have recently been applying for jobs after re-writing my CV so it is appropriate to send out to the necessary clients. l just briefly wanted to talk about my experience regarding applying for jobs as I found it quite interesting and it is of course my first time.

During some of the applications that require filling out as well as attaching a CV to were some interesting sections and methods of going about getting information about the kind of person you are. Some applications were multiple choice which was intriguing as they create different scenarios for you to respond to in relation to problem solving at work and also about the relationship you would share with fellow colleagues. Another method was to ask direct questions that you must answer in your own words with the given space.

One of my favourite features of some of the applications I have filled out is the traffic light visuals they give you. After filling out various sections they would show how well matched you are to the job you're applying to using the information you've given. For example, green for easy and short commuting distance to work, yellow if you have no experience as some companies are willing to offer training and red of you had a criminal record. I found this visual reference very encouraging as all my matches were supposedly very good. It also makes the application a little less boring.

Another key thing I wanted to talk about was the automated emails sent out after filling out applications giving thanks for the time and effort. Now, I'm aware that the media industry is really bad for not doing this but thankfully my change of direction in terms of work has pushed me down a more encouraging route in terms of looking for work as I understand it is a very disheartening process.

My favourite response so far was one that states if you haven't heard a reply in 14 days then you have been unsuccessful, yet it goes onto say that there may be other positions available and more suited for you elsewhere within the same company.

It's really nice to be shown some kindness and encouragement during this new phase of job hunting especially for me since it is my first time. I hope I land something soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment