Friday 2 May 2014

Creating a Skybox

This is a totally new thing for me to try so I had to do a bit of research in order to understand how to do this.

I basically followed the instructions via this link to the Unity forum

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/HOWTO-UseSkybox.html

So from what I understood, my concept artist had to create 6 textures that when fitted together create a square therefore I just provided the UV Map of a cube to help visualise which textures link and where and the rest is a little Unity magic on my part.


The screenshot below shows the new material I created for the skybox and all the necessary image for each face of the 'cube'. Although the images were named they weren't named according to the face they were to be applied to so I took a bit of messing around to get the correct layout. I also had trouble with the skybox not showing when I first applied it but when i switched to the game mode in Unity it suddenly showed up. 


Just for a closer look at the skybox textures here are the separate images below.







I had a terrain underneath my island in an attempt to create a distant fog but it didn't look very good. The textures all originally had a pink gradient at the bottom to blend into this foggy terrain but I edited them and took it off because it was no longer needed and I didn't like it.

I MIGHT edit these textures further at a later point because the stars and the moon are all very big in size during the game play of my level. In ways I could argue that it works because of that magical atmosphere but I would like to see how it looks at a smaller scale.

No comments:

Post a Comment