Thursday 1 May 2014

Home-made Snow

My island is based in the Winter season so I wanted to make my own snow particle effect.


NOTE: I apologise about the quality because I took this picture on my phone.

My main source of inspiration for my particle effect is this shot of Eternal Sonata. As you can see from the image, they used more than one design for the particle effect and this is also something I wanted to do because it's more visually interesting in comparison to just the one snowflake design.

For designs I looked into crochet as it is in-keeping with my textiles appearance. These are just a few images I particularly liked.





This is the snowflake that I will be using to create my snow along with the default round and soft snow flake. I think for this I will probably use the default particle texture that unity provides.


It's been a long time since I did particle effects so it was just a case of messing around with the setting in Unity. It took a long time to figure out how to get it the way I wanted in terms of radius and speed but I got there eventually and this is what the finished thing looks in unity.


Really happy with the end product for this. Particle effects are very interesting and fun to play around with and it think the overall look is great. It adds a somewhat personal touch to the scenery.

No comments:

Post a Comment