Wednesday 14 May 2014

Final Crit & Feedback

The final crit and presentation of my work so far was quite scary and exciting at the same time because up until this presentation i'm aware that no one has really seen my project because I worked from home.

I set up my explorable level on a computer with a brief summary about it. In the summary i decided to write a note about my level not being finished and that there were no invisible walls because based on my last experience of presenting work in this fashion I got a lot of annoying feedback about getting stuck in trees because people were jumping out my level into places they shouldn't be. This of course is stating the obvious and isn't useful for me to reflect on and improve my level. I think this approach worked because thankfully no one mentioned it and also I got lots of lovely comments and improvements that I can now use.

One of the most interesting comments I had were suggestions about making the moon 3D rather than part of the skybox and also to move it to the opposite side so it's visible upon spawning.

Another one of my favourite comments that, funnily enough a lot of people mentioned was to have the waterfalls active as a particle effect. Well guys, the joke is on you because it's Winter and the water is suppose to be static because it's frozen. I do appreciate where you are all coming from though because I think my environment could benefit from some visuals and movement so everything isn't so stiff.

Another frequent comment was about filling up my environment with more stuff because it's currently very bland and empty. Some suggestions were to add snowmen or snowballs that are interactive and some fencing to break up the environment and continue the brown of the bridge so it doesn't looks so out of place. All of these ideas I do really like and i'm aware that my environment is quite dull at the moment. There is suppose to be a house atop the hill and I had plans for more floating objects for the surrounding area of the island.

In terms of feedback, although I appreciate everyone's input i'd like to give a special thanks to Jess for really taking her time to write a substantial amount of feedback regarding each area of the project such as music and modelling.

Hopefully I will be able to implement some of these suggestions before the deadline, if not for the end of year show.

No comments:

Post a Comment