Tuesday 20 May 2014

Voluntary Community Work

So as part of working within the community and for gaining experience I have been looking into voluntary work. I went onto http://www.leeds.gov.uk/ to look up about working within the Leeds Museum and Gallery and found some interesting stuff. 

As a volunteer you can come from any background and there is no need for previous experience, just an enthusiasm towards the work given to you. The application section does state that all individuals are required to have a CBR check otherwise known as DBS check now (Disclosure and Barring Service). This is something that I've have already been told about and that I've looked into as it is required for a career path i'm interested in (teaching). The DBS check is taken to show that you've no criminal records making you safe to work with children under the age of 18. This of course would be necessary for museums of any kind as they are a popular destination for school trips and history. 

After reading through all the necessary information these are the available positions currently showing on the site...
 
CURRENT OPPORTUNITIES
​Grayson Perry, Vanity of Small Differences - Temple Newsam

Retail Operations - Leeds Museum Discovery Centre

​Memoria – Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley Mills

Kirkstall Abbey Tour Guides

Happy Abbey Volunteering
 
Community Garden Volunteer

Growing for Colour  - Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley Mills

War Memorial Researcher - Leeds Industrial Museum, Armley Mills

Project Development Volunteer – Queer Art Project

These positions show an array of different roles and places all of which I'm familiar such as, Armley Mills, Temple Newsam, Leeds Museum and Kirkstall Abbey. 

The tour guide role I found quite interesting but despite knowing and living near Kirkstall Abbey for a long time I've never been to the museum so I'm not familiar with the tour itself. The role would also requite being quite knowledgeable about the local history and I'm afraid history has never been a favoured subject for me. Not being a big history fan kind of puts me off the majority of roles here. Although they would all be very beneficial I don't want to take on work I'm not enthusiastic about never mind voluntary work. 

The community garden volunteer sounds interesting and I've always enjoyed the outdoors and nature so I think I'd enjoy this role. 

The other role I quite like is the retail operations role at the Leeds Museum as it involves serving customers in their small gift shop section.

The most intriguing role is the Vanity of Small Differences up at Temple Newsam. I'm not entirely sure what this role involves as the title doesn't give much away but even more reason to enquire about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment