Thursday 22 May 2014

Beating those College Blues

In relation to finishing college I found a really comforting article about 'how to beat post-college blues' which basically talks through how you might be feeling upon graduating and also about that transitional period which can really get you down. This is all good stuff to know because despite the fact I haven't QUITE finished yet, I am already feeling the reality of my situation closing in and I am freaking out!

I think what I like most about all the information given here is that it really digs in deep about how you feel in the moment and such which is comforting in a way that you know you're not truly alone in this experience as lot of other people are going through it too. The fact that there is an understanding about being down in the dumps and very depressed after leaving college is strangely encouraging as friends and family either feel the same or have already been through this experience at some point in their life. This is a great thing to know as I feel more comfortable to talk about it with those people in order to help me get through this period and perhaps be given some friendly advice.

Learning how to get back into the swing of things regarding social life and trying to have fun and relax is also very important as I feel really lost at the moment and almost feel like I've forgotten how to do all those things. College has been a big part of my life or rather education has as I'm only just taking that step into the world of work now. For years and years I have only really responded to being told what to do and then when true freedom is supposedly within reach I panic because I don;t know what to do and where to start.

Anyway I'd like to put this up here for my own reference and in a hope that it also gives comfort to my fellow colleagues.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Beat the Post-College Blues



  • Accept that you are in a transitional period and that it may be depressing. You work your whole life to get into college. Then you work hard for four years to stay in college and do something useful with your time. You’re always surrounded by people. Then all of a sudden you graduate, expecting a big and fabulous life. Instead, you are likely alone, can’t find a job or are working in a job you aren't crazy about. Fighting this stage isn't going to change anything, so instead, accept where you are. It is temporary. I promise yo—this initial let down will pass. But while you’re in it, you may feel lonely and disappointed. Expect it now, so it won’t be a shocker later.
  • Read a lot of books, just for fun. Yes, I said read. I know you feel you've been reading for 4 years, but this time read what YOU want to read. I don’t care if it’s trashy romance novels, books about European history, or self-help books. Feed your brain with pleasurable reading (rather than endless days of HBO). Take note of what you are reading and why you’re reading it. Use this information (rather than your college major) to identify your genuine likes, and let those things influence your job search.
  • Make a “bucket list” and get weird. Do things you would never get to do when “life,” work and busy schedules get in the way. Get as creative as you’d like on this one; you’ll never have this much time or freedom again. Take risks and do things you've never done before. You never know where life will take you when you get out of your comfort zone.
  • Get reacquainted with your passions. You've been so bogged down by college, activities, part-time jobs, etc. that you haven’t had taken the time to get back to YOU. Now is the time. Do you love animals? Foster a puppy. If you love hiking, take a road trip and go hike somewhere cool. If you’re a fitness freak, use your down time to work out, train for an event, get involved with work out fitness classes/groups in your community. It may sound so obvious but when you are caught up in the post-college slump, it’s easy to stay on the couch in “poor me” mode. This will only delay your life more.
  • Volunteer. Volunteering is one of the best ways to fill down time and get happy. Volunteering doesn't necessarily need to be done in a traditional sense (i.e., apply for a structured program and work scheduled hours at a facility). If you love fashion, you could start helping the girls in your neighbourhood put together new looks or start guest posting on fashion blogs. If you love math, you can tutor some neighbourhood kids. If you’re like me you enjoy helping people market themselves and doing volunteer speaking engagements. Volunteering may be as simple as taking your grandparents to their doctors’ appointments or making dinner for your parents, so they don’t have to. Raise your hand! I can’t leave this section without reminding you that “giving” leads to awesome things. You will meet great new people who share your interests, which leads to a positive attitude, new business connections and something to take your mind off of the post-college blues. There is no downside in volunteering!
  • Spend time with family members. My Aunt Rita is a great cook. Between graduation and starting work, I decided to spend a few days with Rita so I could learn a few things about cooking from her. Aunt Rita despises cleaning. We “traded” cooking lessons for cleaning and organizing. The same is true for grandparents or relatives that you don’t get to see often. Spending a few extra days with someone you love will likely be a lasting memory and a rare occasion.

No comments:

Post a Comment